Welcome back to the everyStory blog!
For all of you animal lovers out there, October is national Adopt-A-Dog month. The everyStory team is in full support of the must-love-dogs stance, and we know firsthand the significant meaning and benefits of having a pet as part of the family. If you already have a four-legged friend, creating an everyStory album about the powerful bond you share with your pet is an excellent way to preserve the joy they bring to your life—from epic hikes with the hound, to the first day at doggy daycare.
If you are not a current pet owner, but are considering becoming one, adoption is an excellent way to save an animal’s life while also improving your own. According to the American Humane Association, approximately 3-4 million animals in shelters are euthanized each year due to a lack of available homes. That statistic pulls at our heartstrings. Recently, an animal adoption center in Utah came up with an ingenious way to help solve this problem; it’s solution that employs the everyStory philosophy on storytelling as a powerful and transformational tool. The Humane Society of Utah used a photo booth to candidly capture the personalities of the dogs at the shelter in comical snapshots. The results were phenomenal, seeing as every single one of the dogs that participated in the photoshoot were adopted. (We can’t help but imagine if they used everyStory’s unlimited voiceover feature to capture all of the happy “yips” and “woofs” on adoption day.)
Not only do pets offer companionship and unconditional love, they also provide owners with proven mental and physical health benefits. Here are some interesting facts that demonstrate how pet ownership can lead to a happier and healthier life:
- Heart health. Pets fill your heart with love while also making it stronger; many studies have shown that owning a pet reduces the likelihood of a heart attack by lowering blood pressure, cholesterol, triglyceride levels, and stress! (Source: cdc.gov)
- Cold-combaters. If you have young children in the house, having a pet around is a great way to make sure they develop a robust immune system. Pets are proven allergy-fighting boosters, helping to fortify resistance to allergies by up to 33%. (Source: http://jacionline.org)
- Breaking the ice. Pets are an easy and fun conversation starter especially when meeting fellow animal lovers. Dog parks, training classes, and outdoor cafes are all spots frequented by pet owners and are great places to introduce a new social element into your life while your furry friend gets a workout.
- Personal trainer. Dogs, in particular, can help those struggling with weight-loss to maintain a consistent fitness regimen. Take your pup out for a walk, run, or bike ride, and add some cheer and “woofs” to your workout!
- Perhaps the most important benefit of owning a pet is a sweeping improvement in overall mood and wellbeing. Pets often instill a sense of purpose and responsibility in their owners, bringing fulfillment and joy to even the dullest of days.
Regardless of whether or not you have already found your furry forever friend, the everyStory team encourages you to consider the many positive ways that owning a pet can have on changing your life for the better – and the difference you can make in theirs.
Have you made an addition to the family recently? Share your pet’s story with us using our app for iOS and Android devices!